LEMON HARISSA CHICKEN RECIPE
Lemon Harissa Chicken recipe with Peppers and Onions…an easy and delightful weeknight dinner.
Recipes with harissa are a great way to add spice and flavor to your weekday meals!
WHAT IS HARISSA YOU ASK?
Harissa paste is a zesty and aromatic chile paste that’s considered a staple in North African and Middle Eastern cooking. There are a few variations out there but recipes with harissa all usually include smoked hot chile peppers, garlic, olive oil, and spices like cumin, coriander and caraway.
You can usually find Harissa as a paste in a jar, can, or tube in the international aisle or condiment aisle of your grocery store. If you’re feeling particularly energetic you can also make it yourself, but ain’t nobody got time for that around here.✌
So the first ingredient you’re gonna need for harissa recipes is… some Harissa. Another very important point for me to go over is that you can usually purchase it in different heat levels: spicy or mild. You know where you and your crew live, so you do you. Mild or spicy, either is delish!✨
HOW TO MAKE HARISSA CHICKEN:
The recipe is pretty easy. You cut up your chicken breast just like you would if you were going to make kebabs, and drop it in a gallon size ziploc bag.
Then mix up your marinade… a little garlic, chopped rosemary, Harissa paste, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper…combine it with the chicken in the ziploc bag and let it hang out and get happy in the fridge for at least 3 hours – 6 is even better.
Then add your chicken and marinade to a medium heat pan and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken temps at 165.
Cut up your fresh veggies and slide them into the oven.♨
Now plate up over your favorite rice, finish with a little Greek yogurt or sour cream!
This quick, flavorful, easy harissa recipe will totally wow you. It’s a really fun way to spice up an average weeknight meal. Plus, it will allow you lots of time to kick back, relax, and pin all of your favorite photos of it! Enjoy my friend!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons spicy Harissa
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Parsley finely chopped for garnish
- Sliced green olives for garnish (optional)
- Capers for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- For the marinade, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, paprika, harissa, salt and pepper in a ziploc bag. Seal and mix the ingredients together.
- Add the cubed chicken. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 6 hours.
- Cut up the peppers and onions. Mix in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and paprika and mix together. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, pour the chicken and marinade into a sauce pan and cook on medium until chicken temperature is 165 degrees, about 8-10 minutes.
- Layer the roasted veggies over jasmine rice, then add the chicken and sauce. Finally add a dollop of Greek yogurt over the chicken, and garnish with parsley, sliced olives or capers.
Recipe by Chef: Holly