Fresh Elongated Mediterranean Tomatoes
Tomato is considered both, a fruit and a vegetable and forms an integral part of cuisines across the globe, especially in the Mediterranean region. Daily consumption of tomatoes provides a great boost to the health, along with improving the flavor of food. The tomato is consumed in diverse ways, raw or cooked, in many dishes, sauces, salads, and drinks.
Benefits of Tomatoes :
– Tomato contains a large amount of lycopene, an antioxidant that is highly effective in scavenging cancer-causing free radicals. This benefit can even be obtained from heat-processed tomato products like ketchup.It is effective in fighting prostate cancer, cervical cancer, cancer of the stomach and rectum
>Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals:
A single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant which prevents cancer-causing free radicals from damaging the body’s systems. It also contains abundant vitamin A and potassium, as well as iron. Potassium plays a vital role in maintaining nerve health and iron is essential for maintaining normal blood circulation. Vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and controlling bleeding, is also abundant in tomatoes.
>Protect the Heart:
– A regular consumption of tomatoes has been proven to decrease the levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. These lipids are the key culprits in cardiovascular diseases and lead to the deposition of fats in the blood vessels.
>Counter the effect of Smoking Cigarette
– The coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid, in tomatoes, fight against nitrosamines, which are the main carcinogens found in cigarettes. The presence of vitamin A in high quantities has been shown to reduce the effects of carcinogens and can protect you against lung cancer.
– Vitamin A, present in tomatoes, aids in improving vision and preventing night-blindness and macular degeneration.
>Aid in Digestion :
– Consuming a tomato daily reduces the risk of developing hypertension, also known as high blood pressure. This is partially due to the impressive levels of potassium found in tomatoes.
– Daily consumption of tomatoes reduces the oxidative stress of type 2 diabetes
– Tomatoes aid in maintaining healthy teeth, bones, hair, and skin. Topical application of tomato juice is even known to cure severe sunburns. Daily consumption protects the skin against UV-induced erythema. They rank high in the preparation of anti-aging products.
>Prevent Urinary Tract Infections:
Tomato intake reduces the incidence of urinary tract infections, as well as bladder cancer. This is because tomatoes are high in water content, which can stimulate urination. This increases the elimination of toxins from the body, as well as excess water, salts, uric acid, and some fats as well.