HEALTHY DATES BROWNIES RECIPE
You won’t believe that these moist and rich Date Brownies are sweetened only with dates and a bit of honey!
Dates are a miraculous fruit. They are an excellent source of:
- essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc
- vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin’s A and K
The nut butter in these brownies also makes them a good source of protein.
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup dates pitted
- hot water to cover
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter such as almond butter, peanut butter, tahini, or sunflower seed butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Chocolate Ganache (optional):
- 1/3 cup butter or ghee
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Soak the dates in the hot water for about 10 minutes to soften. Drain the water.
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add a little water if needed.
- Spread the mixture in a buttered square pan (8×8-inch). Bake for about 20 minutes, until set. Allow to cool before frosting with the Ganache.
- Melt the butter in a bowl and add the chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted.
- Put the mixture in the freezer for about 20 minutes until set (but not completely frozen).
- Beat the mixture with an electric mixer. It will become light brown and smooth. Spread over the brownies and slice into squares.
Recipe by Chef: Dr. Laura